Friday, June 27, 2008

Le Cercle Rouge (1970)

Buddha once drew a circle with a red chalk and said that people who were meant to meet, would come together in the red circle. See the poster. I think the three men inside the circle are: Corey (Alain Delon), Vogel (Gian Maria Volontè), and Jansen (Yves Montand). The one outside perhaps Mattei (André Bourvil). Just out of prison, Corey meets Vogel, a fugitive who happens to hide inside his car trunk, and together they will plan a jewelry heist, with the help of an ex-police sharpshooter Jansen.

I can't decide which one I love the most: Le Samouraï, L'armee des ombres, or Le cercle rouge. Each movie is unique. There is more suspense in Le cercle rouge, though, in my opinion. From the beginning of the movie, we see how Vogel escapes from the custody of Commisaire Mattei, and then how a prison guard sneaks into Corey's cell to tell him about the jewels, the roadblock inspections, the murder in the woods, the heist, and finally the police's trap.



Compared to other Jean-Pierre Melville works I have seen (4 so far), this movie has more colours. The version I watch is the Criterion DVD (region 1). At first it was hard to decide which version to get, for according to DVD Beaver, the Criterion's colour is messed up, too yellow. I don't know if this is the cause which makes me feel the movie is more colourful. In the end, I decided to get the Criterion because the extras were very tempting. And I do enjoy them very much, especially the anecdotes and the interviews with Melville and the cast.

In a time like this, when No Country for Old Men becomes the Best Picture of the year, I hope we have more film-makers like Melville.

No comments: