Monday, October 6, 2008

Shipment tracking

I write this not to complain, but to share just in case someone else has the same problem.

I ordered 3 books from France and on September 10 I got a notice that they had been shipped using Deutsche Post World Net. The seller gave me 12 digit tracking number. On their website, details of the despatch was available:

Transporteur : DHL
Date/ Heure/ Lieu /Détails de l'événement
11 septembre 2008/ 14:24/ Staufenberg DE /Scan de départ
10 septembre 2008/ 19:53/ --- /Transporteur informé que le colis est prêt à l'enlèvement

Usually, a package from the UK or Ireland reaches me in one week, and I paid higher postage for the French order, so I hoped I would receive the package in a week, too. After a week, on Sept 17, I checked the package whereabouts on DHL website:
http://nolp.dhl.de/nextt-online-public/set_identcodes.do?lang=en

At that time, the status of the package was that it had entered this country. I waited again.
On Sept 24, I began to worry and checked the DHL site again. This time the status was:
Addressee: Item destined for abroad
Status : Attempted/Unsuccessful delivery
Status from: 24.09.08 08:02
Process: Attempted/Unsuccessful delivery

I began to panic. Why it was unsuccessful? I was at home all the time, but perhaps the locked door discouraged the postman. From the last experience, a package via Deutsche Post World Net would be delivered by the post office, not by DHL. On Sept 24, the postman delivered me a mail and I said to him that I had been expecting a package. He said he would bring it if there was any. On the next day, Sept 25, he delivered mails for me again, but still no sign of the package, and there would be a long Lebaran holiday soon. I tried to call DHL, and they told me that they didn't use the 12 digit number and ask me to call 3505115. This number turned out to be the Post Office in Central Jakarta (Pasar Baru, I think). The lady who received my call told me that the number of digit was not right. If it was sent via Deutsche Post World Net, the 12 digit number would be changed into 9 digits (with 2 letters in front of the number), and that was why when I checked the status on the DHL site, it would say 'unsuccessful'. [Here I was lost. So what's the use of the tracking number?] She then transferred my call to her colleague who dealed with packages, he asked for my name, but couldn't find it in his files.

Friday, Sept 26, the last day before the holiday, I found a notice from the post office slipped under the front door. It said I had a package from DE (Germany). My name was written wrong (I understood then why the postman in Pasar Baru couldn't find my name in his files.), the first letter was missing; and the house number was wrong. I was lucky the local postman knew my name so at least he knew where to deliver the notice. I went to Daan Mogot Post Office to pick up my package. I told the postman there that my name and address were written wrong, and he showed me a label. The clerk at Daan Mogot Post Office copied it right, so the mistakes were either made by a clerk in Pasar Baru or Customs. The name & address on the package itself were right. Finally I got my package. On it, I saw 2 kinds of tracking numbers: the 12 digits as given by the seller, and the new one (9 digits) from Deutsche Post World Net (with 2 letters in front of the number [CL] and 2 letters behind the number [DE]). The package had been opened and re-sealed by the Customs, so I had to pay Rp 7.000,- for the re-wrapping than the usual Rp 3.000,-

10 days after, when I typed this, the status on DHL site & the seller's are still the same.

No comments: