Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Infernal Affairs (TV) 2016

The movie version of Infernal Affairs starring Andy Lau and Tony Leung was a hit back then. It was a trilogy. I Liked the first one very much, the 2nd one was okay, but I didn't like the third. Can't really remember why I didn't like the third, I think the plot didn't make sense.

I got confused with the title when it first came out. As it was about police, I usually thought of 'internal affairs'; and when I read again that it was 'infernal' instead of 'internal', I thought perhaps that police department really named 'infernal affairs'... But now I know the Chinese title means 'unceasing path (to hell).'

They made the tv series in 2016 and only a few weeks ago I could watch it with subtitles. Compared to the movie version, the movie version was much better.

Sing Luen triad organization, led by Wu Koon-yau, was having rivalry with Hung Lok. Sing Luen's attorney, Hon Long, had sent one of his boys, Wai Chun-hin, to be a policeman, and now he was a senior inspector. This series consists of 30 episodes and before episode 10, Wai Chun-hin's identity was exposed and he had to quit his job. Meanwhile, the police also had sent Bullet as an undercover in Sing Luen, following the death of an undercover police in Sing Luen.

I saw the movie version many years ago, but I think Andy Lau and Tony Leung tried hard not to blow their covers. As a triad member of a policeman, they tried to do their job well and gained trust from people around them. In this series, Wai Chun-hin's cover was blown up soon and when he tried to join Sing Luen, he had to force his way. Nobody really trusted him. As for Bullet, he joined Sing Luen not for long ago, so he was also not to be trusted.

While Andy Lau and Tony Leung are two of the best talented actors in Hong Kong film industry, here we have Him Law and Wang Yang, who are not as good as the previous two - although they are not so bad. Gallen Lo, on the other hand, who played Hon Long, was good. But this is not right, isn't it? In a series about undercover, how can the actor who played the lawyer is better than the two lead roles?

No comments: