Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Here Comes The Fuzz

The movie still hasn’t come to Jakarta, but last night I watched the dvd and wow, I loved the movie!!! Never I saw such an original movie since Trainspotting. I had seen the trailer and read lots of reviews about it (and avoided the plot when mentioned), and never thought I could still get surprises. It was full of ideas and unexpected twists.

People compared Hot Fuzz to Shaun of The Dead; some said Shaun of The Dead was better, some said Hot Fuzz was better, and some said we couldn’t compare the 2 because they belonged to different genres; and here I have my say that I like Hot Fuzz better. However I found this to be fair as the next work should be better than the previous. Or maybe I didn’t like the ending in Shaun of The Dead because the conclusion was so simple: the army.

Hot Fuzz is the story about supercop Nicholas Angel who was too good he made everybody looked bad so they shipped him from London to a peaceful country village Sandford. The peace however was not what it seemed.

After 30 minutes I thought I was watching Midsomer Murders and in 1h15m I think the culprit was discovers and yet they could still manage to go on about 40 minutes more. Amazing. The movie was fast paced and I needed to watch it again (and again).

The extras on dvd were generously given. I liked best how special effects were used. Another wonderful surprise was the 4 commentary tracks; and one of them with Timothy Dalton who played the supermarket manager named Simon Skinner. If I am not mistaken it was the first time Dalton provided commentary to any dvd. He must love this project very much.

The Point Break scene should have been a heart-melting one, but they made it into a parody and I found myself laughing aloud.

This movie was full of old actors (and they were still wonderful!!!) as well as young ones; and it was nice to see them all. Violences were done over-the-top so I didn’t find them horrifying. The scariest part was when the hooded man appeared. I and my sister are always afraid to see hooded creature because we cannot see the face so we imagine the most scariest thing under: is it a man? handsome or whose face was ruined? a woman? a devil?

Very well done, Edgar Wright & Simon Pegg & the whole Hot Fuzz team!!!

No comments: