Thursday, August 2, 2007

Les Misérables

Just watched the 1958 movie version of Les Misérables, which I enjoyed very much. I had not touched the novel for 10 years, so I was glad to see this version faithful to the novel. I had forgotten many things from it and I hope I shall have time to re-read it. Les Misérables is one of my favourite books. I bought it in October 1994 and needed a month to finish it. That time I already had had the recording of the musical (complete/international recording version) and since then I added to my collection 4 more versions, plus the promo video Stage by Stage and the 10th anniversary concert movie.

I only think that the actor who played Enjolras was physically miscast, because in the book Enjolras is depicted as 'angelically good-looking', so I always think he is more handsome than Marius. The actor, Serge Reggiani, played him very well, though.

I remember went to the cinema to watch the version with Liam Neeson. I liked the beginning of the movie, Liam Neeson had melancholic eyes, exactly what I had imagined for Jean Valjean. But later I was disappointed. I understood that in adaptation of a book to a movie, certain changes usually made and many characters had to be cut off; but why changed the characters too much?

Les Misérables is the story of an ex-convict, Jean Valjean, who had been sent to 19 years hard labour for stealing a loaf of bread (actually he was charged for housebreaking and robbery, initially 5 years, but as he 3 times attempted to escape the years were added) and after he was set free with a yellow ticket of leave, meant he had to report himself every time he entered a town. In the town of Digne, no one would receive him, although he was so exhausted and hungry, until he met The Bishop of Digne. Valjean repaid his kindness by stealing his silver. Two gendarmes caught him, but the bishop said the silver had been given to Valjean, and he even added two candlesticks and said , "Do not forget that you have promised me to use the money to make yourself an honest man." and "You no longer belong to what is evil but to what is good. I have bought your soul and I give it to God." Since then, Jean Valjean really did nothing but good. He became the major of Montreil-sur-mer and made it prosperous. He saved Fantine from jail. He saved Fantine's daughter, Cosette, from the Thénardiers. He spared Javert's life. He saved Marius's life.

In the 1998 version, Javert committed suicide in front of Jean Valjean and the latter did nothing at all. I don't think it was something Valjean would do. What happened next was worse, as Valjean went home with a big grin on his face. He was happy he didn't do anything to prevent a death? That was not Valjean. The 2nd thing I was disappointed with was: the character of Marius Pontmercy. Marius is a shy student who is very poor and believes girls laughing at his shabby clothes. However in the movie version, Hans Matheson, gave Cosette his naughty smile when he first saw her; he was a lady-killer, not the dreamy Marius who buried his nose in the books.

No comments: