Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Blind Assassin


There are wonderful books written, which I haven't heard about. I look for them by reading reviews, compared one comment from another; but sometimes after I bought the book and read it, it doesn't suit my taste or mood.

Now I'm in the mood to read stories face paced stories. The Blind Assassin isn't one of them. Although it's full of details, which the reason why it won the Booker Prize, but the pace is very slow and there's not much of the plot. Possession, by A.S. Byatt, which also won the Booker Prize, is one of the most wonderful books I've read and I think the ending is perfect. I bought The Blind Assassin because the reviews seems positive and it did won the same prize as Possession. I wondered if this book was another masterpiece I might have missed, but it was not. I'm sorry, Ms Atwood.

I think I was misled by the title as well. The Blind Assassin, I imagined some heavy veiled killer with a sabre, like in Rudy Valentino movies. I wonder why where I got such image.

The Blind Assassin is a story about an old lady who is trying to reach her grand-daughter who has been separated from her by writing some kind of journal for her. There is a 2nd novel in this book as one of the characters is a writer, although the idea for the story came from someone else; and the 2nd novel consists of at least 2 stories told in different versions, set not on Earth.

No comments: