Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Astérix aux jeux olympiques (2008)

I read many bad reviews about this movie, saying that this is the worst compared to the first 2 Astérix films: Astérix et Obélix contre César and Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre. I disagree. This one is either as good or as bad. I myself prefer the comic book version. I like Gérard Depardieu as Obélix, but the rest of the cast are not that interesting - except Alain Delon as Jules Cesar. My problem is expecially on the actor(s) who plays Astérix, because I want him to be as small as in the comic books, but I think I ask too much. My sister likes very much the dog who plays Idéfix because he looks a lot like the one in the comic.

This movie is about a young man from Astérix's village, Alafolix, who falls in love with Princess Irina from Greece. However, Jules Cesar's son, Brutus, also wants Irina's hand. These two guys then compete at the Olympic Games for Irina promises to marry the winner. The rest of the story is not hard to guess: Astérix, Obélix, Idéfix, Assurancetourix, and Panoramix accompany Alafolix to the Olympic Games and help him to win the ultimate game: the chariot race.

When Delon's Jules César first appears, a music from The Sicilian Clan is heard. I think the track used is the one called 'Per Nazari e Delon' - very appropriate. In his first scene Delon quotes his own movie titles, remembering his glory days: "César a tout réussi, tout conquis. C’est un guépard. Un Samouraï. Il ne doit rien à personne: ni à Rocco, ni à ses frères, ni au clan des Siciliens. César est de la race des seigneurs." and in a later scene: "On ne réveille pas un César qui dort." It's funny to see Delon and his narcissism - or in this case, Césarissime, like Couverdepus says. I also like how Brutus always tries to kill his father, but always fails.

One of the funniest scenes is when Brutus inspects his regiment and ask the commander to show him the turtle formation from an animal view.

The movie goes well, until Numérobis arrives, in my opinion. Perhaps they want to include guest stars like Zinédine Zidane, Amélie Mauresmo, and Tony Parker. I'd prefer that from the party with the village people in Armorique, after Assurancetourix and Francis Lalanix are thrown with melons (or whatever), the scene cuts to Brutus rowing the boat.

This movie has amazing decors. The 'Making Of' shows how they made the Gaulic village and the Olympic stadium. I am also impressed with the statues of César which capture well Delon's likeness. If Delon wants to make anything like this, I think he should hire these people.

There is also a doll of José Garcia, but I'm not sure if they really made a doll or used another technique.

No comments: