Sunday, July 5, 2009

Prime Suspect (1991-2006)

I like crime/detective stories. It's interesting to see why and how a murder is done and how the police find the murderer. A few weeks ago I found out that Prime Suspect boxset was on discount, so why not? And I was not disappointed. The series was great.

The first of the series is perhaps the best of all. DCI Jane Tennison (Helen Mirren) - they say she is the first female DCI on TV series - has to prove herself in a male world. It is amazing to see her work. At first her subordinates are not very willing, but they end up admiring her. What I like about this series is, it shows how hard the police must work to find evidences. They have to interview so many people and dig many files. Tennison has about 10-20 people in every meeting and tell them what to do, and I imagine each of them tell their own subordinates what to do.

There are 9 different cases in this series. After watching the first, I wondered if they could find something to beat it; and perhaps they did because I enjoyed each show. From all 9, it's Prime Suspect 4: The Lost Child which I like less - because here it seems the police failed to find the culprit, but only by confession. My most favourites are Prime Suspect 1 and Prime Suspect 6: The Last Witness, so I think I like it when the killer is someone who looks kind and lovable in the outside, when the police don't have any proof and only because Tennison's hunch that they are after this suspect.

No comments: