Saturday, April 28, 2012

Afterwards

Afterwards offers a simple, ordinary plot but very well written that it's captivating and beautiful. I read this book in a week, which was fast, because lately I had been so tired after work.  I have a friend who dislike first-person narrative style, and I think her opinion has affected me a bit. This book is written in that style and as I was reading this, I kept hoping that Ms Lupton used another style.

The story is told from the point of view of Grace Covey, a 39 year old mother of 2 children: Jenny, a teenager, and her little brother Adam. Her husband is a BBC presenter. They live happily until comes the day when Adam's school is on fire on Sport's Day. Jenny is trapped inside the burning building and Grace goes in to save her. Afterwards, Grace is lying in a coma because of a fatal head injury, Jenny is badly burnt, and Adam is accused of starting the fire. Grace and Jenny's spirits roam the hospital following the investigation. During these days, Grace learns more about the people she loves and understands better about them.

  



No comments: