Saturday, November 24, 2007

Foyle's War

It's 1940 and England is at war. DCS Christopher Foyle (Michael Kitchen) wants a transfer to the war effort, but denied, and has to confront the crimes, in a society where everybody is taught how to kill. With the help from his driver, Sam (Honeysuckle Weeds) and Sgt Paul Milner (Anthony Howell), who lost a leg in the war; Foyle tries to solve murder cases in Hastings.



I had wanted to saw Foyle's War for a year, when someone from one of the mailing lists I was joining in, recommended it. I wondered what the difference between Foyle's War and Midsomer Murders, except that Foyle's War was set in WW2 and Midsomer Murders in present time, since both series are created by Anthony Horowitz. I have only watched the first season of Foyle's War, and from the 4 episodes, I could guess easily whodunit in 3 episodes. So 'A Lesson in Murder' is my favourite. First began with the death of David Beale in police custody. Beale was a brilliant writer and placed in custody after being refused conscientious objector status, and a judge at the hearing, received threatening notes, but a refugee boy from London who stayed at the judge's house died in his place. Interesting also to see that everyone seems to forget about Sgt Milner's lost leg, except his own wife, who treats him like a cripple.


I also like The White Feather episode because 1) There is Charles Dance in it 2) The heroic story of Dunkirk is included. It moved me when David Lane's father's boat landed with 15 soldiers.

No comments: