Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tears Of The Giraffe

Although on the cover it is said that Tears of The Giraffe is the 2nd book in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the book is merely not a detective story. True, the main character, Mma Ramotswe, the founder of the agency, is a female detective, but the book contains lots of moral values, something that begins to disappear from the new generation. One day I was on a public transport and there were 3 school girls there (they were about 13-14 years old), and they talked to each other using many curse words. I never used such words to my school friends. I also remembered when my boss asked me to type her son's homework (it was a group's homework, actually, and I wondered why it was me who had to type it), dialogues for a drama, I was shocked to find curses in it; was it something they had been taught at school? I knew, fat chance it was, yet I wondered.

From the book, Botswana, where Mma Ramotswe lives, is a lovely place to be. She is engaged to a kind garagiste, who take 2 siblings from the orphanage. Her competent secretary is appointed to be her assistant. Here, far as I remember, they solve 2 cases: one from an American lady who wants to find the traces of her son who went missing 10 years ago and one from a butcher who wants to know if his wife has betrayed him. The first case is more difficult because the police could not solve it then, but Mma Ramotwe's intuition has a great deal in solving this. The 2 cases end well, also the problem with the garagiste's maid who dislikes Mma Ramotswe.

No comments: