Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Tournament of Blood

Set in 1322 in England, The Tournament of Blood is a detective story investigating the murders in a jousting tournament. First, a money lender is found dead - followed by a carpenter and an architect. To solve the murders, Sir Baldwin, Keeper of the King's Peace, and his friend Bailiff Simon, our heroes, must move fast, because this time, Simon becomes the prime suspect - and the audience are lust for blood; means they won't wait for a fair trial.

This is the first Michael Jecks book I've read. His writing style is not hard to follow and I must say that I enjoyed reading this book. At first I was a bit disappointed because the name of the killer was told from the first pages and I thought it was going to ruin everything, because one of the exciting things in reading detective story is to find out who did it in the end and to see if we guess right. [I never guess, anyway.] Well, I was wrong, because in the end, the writer had a surprise. The conclusion is also unusual, because a serial killer has to be sent to jail - and one usually gets death penalty. Our heroes here decide to forget all and forgive the culprit as the victims are the real parasites - and put the blame on a dead innocent man.

Not much of the jousting in this book (if it was, it would be harder for me to read), but more of the investigation, how they lived at that time, and how to organize a tournament.

No comments: