Tuesday, November 23, 2010

La grande vadrouille (1966)

I heard that this movie was very famous - at least in France. Its two main stars, Bourvil and Louis de Funès were great names. It was directed by Gérard Oury, whose work The Adventures of Rabbi Jacob with Louis de Funès I liked very much. After watching this, I still prefer The Adventures of Rabbi Jacob. I guess La grande vadrouille is preferred by many because this movie is about patriotism.

In La grande vadrouille (what does it mean? The Great Wandering?), Bourvil played a painter and Louis de Funès a chief conductor who is going to hold a concert in the Paris Opera House. Set in WW2, they help three RAF crews, whose plane has been shot down by the Germans. The British pilots came to Paris for Operation "Tea For Two" - which turns out a failure. The painter and the conductor help them escape to the south, to the unoccupied France. All the way, the conductor look down on the painter, who is a manual labourer.

My favourite scene is when Bourvil and Louis de Funès play with the Germans some sort of game, like toad jumping but using chairs. (pic attached) It's one of the funniest scene I have ever seen.




No comments: