Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Invasion (2007)

I like Jeremy Northam and was so glad that his latest movie, The Invasion, came to Indonesia. As far as I know, this is his 2nd movie since 2001. [The first was Cypher.] I saw the trailer on TV Monday morning and there he was, wearing a suit and said something like, 'When you wake up in the morning, everything will be the same.' Today I went to Mega Mall to watch the movie, prepared for the worst, as I had read some bad reviews. I think this movie has been getting more bad reviews than good ones.

The story is simple. (Warning: SPOILERS!) A spaceship blew up in space and the pieces, which landed on earth, mostly in America, where the movie is set. Those who touch any piece get infected with aliens and later they spread the contamination among themselves by vomiting onto one's face (Yucks!!!). Our heroin, a psychiatrist named Dr. Carol Bennell (Nicole Kidman) is trying to safe her only son, Oliver, when everybody else has been infected, including herself. The alien/virus will take hold as soon as one falls asleep, so she only has to stay awake and never shows any emotion, for emotion and sweat will betray herself, that she is still clean. Is the virus curable? Yes, of course, because this is a movie and the key is Oliver, who happens to be immune.


It's been months I hadn't gone to cinema and when I saw The Invasion, I thought the picture transfer was great. Kidman's & Craig's eyes were very blue. This was the first time I saw Daniel Craig on big screen and I understood then why my friend was so crazy about his blue eyes. Too bad there was no close-ups on Northam (I know his eyes are brown, still close-ups would be nice).

The Invasion was not so bad. It was worth the money ticket. Not the best movie I've seen this year, but I've seen worse. I don't like the first scene, though, which shows Carol looking for drugs, and why this must be showed first.

I wonder: if at first the alien can get into a human if one touches the spaceship's wreck (how could they infect the spaceship anyway?), why among humans, with vomit? And why Carol shot everyone in the heart - why not on the leg? Did Tucker die? I also don't believe that if we are all turned into aliens, there will be no war anymore. Tucker and Ben seemed not to tell the truth when they persuaded Carol to join. I have seen many Northam movies so I can tell if he plays a baddie. I also wonder how old is Oliver and why his dear mom gives him drugs when he has a nightmare, and if this is common in America even though the mom is a psychiatrist.

I haven't seen the original Invasion of The Body Snatchers movie.

No comments: