Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Garth Williams Treasury

It's a pity that 'A Garth Williams Treasury of Best-Loved Golden Books' is not easy to find. In 1942, Golden Books started to publish children books at a more affordable price. In this volume, there are 10 collection of Golden Books, illustrated by Garth Williams. I love his drawings since I read Laura Ingalls Wilder books in the early 80's. When I bought Charlotte's Web, I chose the one with his illustrations.


The picture above is from The Three Little Pigs, when the big bad wolf blows the straw house of the first pig.

This book is obviously for young children for the letters and drawings are big. My favourite story is 'The Kitten Who Thought He Was A Mouse". As for the drawings, I like the last story the most: "Mister Dog".


Here Mr. Dog looks sad, but actually he is sleepy because he just woke up. He is making himself a breakfast of milk and bread. See the strawberries in his fridge.

I love how he drew Mr. Dog from behind. This dog is even cuter from behind. The dog hair reminds me of a chapter in Laura Ingalls Wilder book where Pa plays mad dog with Laura and Mary.

No comments: