Monday, May 5, 2008

The Golden Compass (2007)

I haven't read the book this movie based on, thought that I would be able to enjoy it more. I did enjoy the movie, although I read reviews which said it was slow and boring. The Golden Compass's central character is a little girl named Lyra Belacqua (played well by Dakota Blue Richards). Their world is a parallel to our world and the people each have a dæmon. Nicole Kidman plays the cunning Mrs Coulter who kidnaps children and cut their dæmons off.



The character I love most in the movie is Iorek Byrnison, the king of polar bear. When Lyra first meets him, he has been thrown away from his kingdom and works for the townspeople for a bucket of whisky. Lyra restores his armour and he makes a promise that he will pay his debt to her.

I heard that Philip Pullman books teach atheism (contrary to CS Lewis books), but in this movie I don't see it. I am a bit disappointed after finding out that the movie maker decided to change the story a bit so that it wouldn't be obvious that it is against Christianity. Looks like I will have to read the books after all.

No comments: