Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pilgrim's Progress

When I was little, a movie was played in our church. Usually the movies were about the life of Jesus, but this movie was different. Not much I can remember now except in it there was a man with a burden on his back which he carried anywhere until he met a cross and laid down his sack at its foot. I also remember a scary person, supposed to be the devil, I think, who wore colourful clothes and had long nails. That devil gave me nightmares then. I saw this movie 2 or 3 times for I also went when another nearby church (the priest's daughters were my playmates) showed this. Later when I was in high school, I saw the story available in comic version. I didn't buy it then. Apart from the comic book, it was difficult to find the book in Indonesia, which I found rather unbelievable, for I read somewhere that the story was famous and the book was the most best selling book for Christians after The Bible.

I wanted a version for children which I thought would be easier to read, and with illustrations here and there the book should be more interesting. After comparing several versions, I decided to take this Gary Schmidt version. I am pleased with the presentation and lovely water colour illustration by Barry Moser. In fact, it is better (and bigger) than I expected.

The story itself tells the journey of Christian from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. Many problems occur during the dangerous journey for he has to go through the Delectable Mountains, the Valley of The Shadow of Death, the Doubting Castle, Vanity Fair, the Valley of Humiliation... ; and meet those who will try to make him leave his path: Obstinate, Pliable, Giant Despair, Pagan, Atheist, Envy, Hate-Good, Deceiver, Hypocrisy, Apollyon, ... but he is not alone in his pilgrimage, has Faithful and Hopeful at his side, and gets help from Goodwill, Discretion, Prudence, Watchful, Sincere, Knowledge,... . This work of John Bunyan should be read by all Christians, whatever version it is.

No comments: