Friday, August 8, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008)

I haven't read the books this movie is based on, but the movie was something I enjoyed very much. Malory, Jared, and Simon has just moved with their mother to a big old house. The previous owner of that house is their great-aunt Lucinda, who is sent to mental hospital for believing her father, Arthur Spiderwick, was abducted by fairies 80 years ago. Jared found Spiderwick's field guide: a book contains the secrets of fairies, which is desperately wanted by Mulgarath, an ogre. Jared and his siblings must prevent the ogre in possessing the book, for if Mulgarath succeeds, with the power he will possess, he can kill anyone he likes, including humans.

After reading the end credits, I realized both Simon and Jared were played by the same actor, Freddie Highmore. That boy is one of the most talented young actors I've ever seen on screen. The whole cast is superb, with wonderful production design. The special effects are also great. I only don't like the parts when the family drama is on, like: why Jared's father doesn't keep his promise to come? Why he doesn't dare to tell him the truth? 'The last thing I said to my mum was I hate you',...

No comments: