Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Le Comte de Monte Cristo (1998)

First time I read about The Count of Monte Cristo was when some part of it appeared in a children's magazine in early 80's, which belonged to my neighbour. I cannot even remember now if the story started from the beginning, but I cannot forget the part about Danglars, who was kidnapped, and had to pay high price for his wine and chicken. In 1996, I bought the novel, which I believe was abridged, for it was only about 600 pages. Yet I loved the novel so much, enjoyed every detail of it.

Last Christmas, as usual I spent time with my parents, and 'The Man in The Iron Mask' was on TV. My mom said the movie was good, and I asked her if she had heard about the story of The Count of Monte Cristo. She said no, and I had this idea to obtain a copy of a Monte Cristo movie so she could watch it. I had seen the 2002 version with Jim Caviezel and didn't like it, for it turned out Albert de Morcerf was the Count's son with Mercedes. So I wanted to try the version with Gérard Depardieu. The French should be able to do this wonderful story better justice.

I finished watching it last night. Compared with the 2002 version, I like this one much better. The Count of Monte Cristo is a story of a successful sailor who is sent to jail on his engagement day because of a false accusation. After 14 years, he escapes and pays revenge to his enemies. [In the movie, I think it's 18 years instead of 14.] Gérard Depardieu is wonderful as Edmond Dantès, although I think his is physically too big for the role. Sometimes I can even see his stuntman. The other cast are equally very good, but the one I like best is Ornella Muti as Mercedès. She was still very beautiful in 1998, perfect for the role. My favourite scene is the boat ride when Mercedès opens her heart to the Count. It is very moving.

Unless I missed it, in this movie, it's not clearly mentioned Danglars's motive to get rid of Edmond Dantès. For Fernand, it's obvious: he wants Mercedès. Danglars does it because he and Edmond don't like each other, and if Edmond becomes the captain of The Pharaoh, Danglars will lose his job. The punishments are like karma: Fernand wanted Mercedès and loses her; Villefort wanted to keep his honour and loses it (unfortunately the movie didn't show how he went crazy in the end); and Danglars loved money so much and Edmond teaches him what it's like to be without any. Poor Caderousse gets killed.

This version is not 100% faithful to the novel, though. [In the novel, Edmond Dantès never has a happy ending with Mercedès. Perhaps because it is Ornella Muti.] I understand they had to eliminate several supporting characters. 6 hours are too short for this story. I actually wouldn't mind if they made it 10 hours. In all, this version is enjoyable, but if you can read the novel, read it. That reminds me: I have to get the unabridged version.

No comments: