Saturday, April 26, 2014

Easy Prey - John Sandford

In Easy Prey, Deputy Chief Lucas Davenport solved the murder of famous model Aliée Maison in eight days. [In the book, the name is written as Alie'e, but I believe it's a French name, since it was spelled 'Ah-Lee-Ay', so here I want to write it Aliée.]

Easy Prey has a different format than the previous books in Prey series. Usually we read the stories from two points of view: the killer's and Davenport's. That is why the reader usually knows from the start who the killer is. In Easy Prey, apart from the first 1 1/2 pages telling how the first killer (there are two killers and I think it's safe to say this -even though you happen to read this before you read the book, because the writer himself called this man 'the first man') started his morning in that particular day, we went through the story from Lucas Davenport's side only. I myself liked it, although I went to read several reviews about this book yesterday and they were negative.

Like Koop in Night Prey, the killers were those who didn't attract attention, made them hard to catch. If in Night Prey we had been introduced to the killer from the start, in Easy Prey we were as blind as the police about the killers. We followed them as they had to interview everybody and search for clues.

In this book, Lucas Davenport had changed his black Porsche for a newer model and perhaps could repair his relationship with his fiancée, Weather.

When I finished Night Prey - that was five books ago - I thought everybody had not a cell-phone then, because Lucas said to Greave, "I'll meet you in the lobby. And bring one of the cellulars, I'm gonna want to make a phone call." I thought it was not the cell-phone era then, but it turned out he just didn't like being available all the time. [Neither do I. Especially since I use public transport and I don't like everybody knows I have a smartphone.] He was rich enough to get one of those, even if the department didn't give him one. Since Secret Prey - that is the book before this one - it seemed everybody got a cell-phone, although Lucas never turned on his. In this matter, Lucas was extreme, I think. If he didn't want to be disturbed, he could simply put it on silent mode and screened the calls later.

A Maplewood cop called Lucas on his cell-phone - via Dispatcher, "Listen, Chief, my chief wants to talk with you. You got a number he can call?"
"Hang on," Lucas said. He handed the phone to Lester
(the Minneapolis PD Homicide deputy chief) and said, "Give him you cell-phone number."
Lester read his number off, then handed the phone back to Lucas. Lucas could hear the Maplewood cop repeating the number to somebody else, and a second later, Lester's phone rang. He handed it to Lucas, who said, "Hello?"

No comments: